we have often blogged that there is no one way to find a buyer for your property. Some call off of the yard sign. Others find your property online. Others from referrals, etc. And, some find their new home driving around the area’s in which they plan to buy. This is the time of year that buyers drive in the area’s they are interested in, so you might as well help them. I would pick a weekend and hold an Open House from noon to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday. On the Monday prior to the weekend I would do the following:
1. Lower your price a little and change the Remarks to:
PRICE REDUCED, THIS PROPERTY WILL BE SOLD THIS WEEKEND. OPEN HOUSE SATURDAY AND SUNDAY FROM NOON TO 5PM
2. update FSBO.com, Zillow and all other online ad’s with that headline
3. each day put a new ad on Craigslist
4. send/deliver flyer’s to all real estate offices that are close to your property
5. put balloons on your mail box and Open House signs every place that will help
6. the day of the Open House, park your cars at the street so it looks like people are looking at your home
7. remove pets, small children and any other distractions from your property on the day of the Open House.
8. be prepared to be there to discuss your property and to negotiate with any interested parties.
9. have a notebook and get all parties to write down their name and number. You need to know who is entering your property and this gives you a way to follow up later and get feedback.
10. some suggestions for security: a. place all valuables in a secure place b. keep all parties together, do not let one person go upstairs alone, while the other keeps asking you questions to keep you busy c. Make sure, you are not alone during the Open House, either your spouse, relative or other adult is with you.